Approved: May 21, 2019
Position: Payroll Assistant
Reports to: Assistant Secretary-Treasurer
The Payroll Assistant is responsible for full cycle payroll functions related to the collecting, verifying and processing of semi-monthly payrolls for the PRSD hourly paid support staff using an integrated computer payroll/finance system. The Payroll Assistant is responsible for providing benefit information for the PRSD Support Staff. The Payroll Assistant is responsible for processing payroll in an accurate and timely manner, in accordance with the applicable legislation, Collective Agreements, benefit plan provisions, and PRSD Policies and Administrative Procedures. Prairie Rose School Division Policies, Procedures, and applicable Collective Agreements.
The Payroll Assistant shall be responsible to the Assistant Secretary-Treasurer for such duties as assigned and shall be prepared to perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Secretary-Treasurer.
The Payroll Assistant must establish and maintain a close working relationship with the Assistant Secretary-Treasurer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes semi-monthly payroll for all hourly paid PRSD employees including casual employees and Board of Trustees Indemnities; this includes set-up, maintenance and distribution of salary information within a computerized payroll system;
- Collects and verifies timesheet information for all hourly employees;
- Processes all hourly employee entitlements and accruals;
- Completes monthly payroll remittances and general ledger reconciliations, as well as any other required reports;
- Composes information letters to employees concerning benefits and other pay related matters;
- Liaises with all third party benefit providers, which includes but not limited to Manitoba Blue Cross, Mercer Consultants and Elker (Pension Administrators);
- Reviews incoming Hourly employees Request for Leave (RFL’s) for eligibility based on leave balances and ensure compliance with the Collective Agreement, and return to the Executive Assistant;
- Records and calculates leaves as per the applicable Collective Agreements for PRSD support staff;
- Responds to queries about pay and benefits issues by telephone, correspondence or in person from employees and outside agencies such as Manitoba School Board Association, Blue Cross, Cooperators, etc.;
- Prepares and issues all hourly paid employees’ Records of Employment via ROE Web for all school breaks through out the school year, and respond to queries from Service Canada;
- Calculates all final pay entitlements for leave of absences, resignations, and retirements;
- Prepares month and year-end reports for pensionable service, sick leave balances, and vacation carry-over;
- Prepares annual sick leave letters for CUPE (Unit A and B) employees;
- Assists the Payroll Administrator with payroll year-end processes and T-4 generation;
- Prepares, calculates and distributes seniority service every April for CUPE Local 4701 Unit A and B;
- Maintains payroll records according to PRSD Administrative Procedures;
- Assists with the payroll process for Professional and Division Office staff in the absences of the Payroll Administrator.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge and advanced skills in computer technology and software including: integrated Finance/Payroll system, MS Office, and online applications for benefits, pension and employment insurance;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to set priorities and meet strict deadlines;
- Excellent problem-solving/judgement skills and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion;
- Solid understanding of all applicable federal and provincial legislation and a thorough understanding of Collective Agreements and PRSD Administrative Procedures as it relates to payroll practices.
Educational Qualifications / Experience:
- Certificate or Diploma in accounting and/or payroll and at least 2 years’ experience of related payroll experience ensuring confidentiality and professionalism, or an equivalent combination of education and experience working within an unionized environment;
- Proficiency with MS Office, particularly Excel and Word, and with specific experience with computerized Finance/Payroll system;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to interact positively and work effectively with others;
- Strong organization and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet strict deadlines and multi-task within a fast paced environment;
- Have the ability to problem-solve and use judgement with a high level of attention to details, accuracy and record keeping; ability to set priorities and meet strict deadlines.