Approved: May 6, 2013
Position: Operations Supervisor
Reports to: Superintendent/CEO
Policy: Operating from Carman but travelling throughout PRSD, manage the building and transportations operations of the School Division providing safe and efficient transportation systems for students and clean and effective functioning building facilities, including bus garages in Carman and Elie, school buses and bus routes, community schools, buildings on Hutterite colonies and the Division Office, under the direction of the Superintendent/CEO.
Responsibilities and Duties:
1. General Management Responsibilities (for Building and Transportation Operations):
- Plan, organize, direct, and monitor projects, priorities and day to day activities;
- Administer the annual Operations budget – capital and operating expenses;
- Develop and recommend new and revised policies and procedures;
- Recommend hiring, changes, transfers, and dismissals of staff and ensure performance evaluations are conducted annually;
- Develop and recommend staff training and development activities;
- Handle all employee relations activities including performance and discipline management issues;
- Oversee committee operations and ensure they are functioning properly (i.e. safety and health, accident, operations and finance);
- Oversee physical security of all buildings and premises;
- Keep abreast of changes and developments associated with building and school bus operations;
- Organize and supervise health and safety programs including the implementation of Workplace Safety and Health and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) programs, Emergency Measures Organization (EMO) procedures;
- Attend divisional meetings and conferences including Board of Trustees, Central Admin., Admin. Council, MASBO, WS&H, as required;
- Complete all monthly and annual reports required by Superintendent, Finance, PSFB, Pupil Transportation Unit, and Manitoba Education, according to established protocols (i.e. 5-year Strategic Plan, Bus Operating Report;
- Travel throughout the Division and Province, conducting business on behalf of the School Division;
- Perform all other duties and responsibilities as requested by the Superintendent/CEO.
2. Building Facilities Responsibilities:
Supervise general maintenance, repairs and operations of physical plants in the School Division including record keeping, contractor relationships, tendering for projects, oversight of construction, project management, etc., delegating responsibility for activities covered by the Assistant Supervisor, Operations and the Operations Assistant but also performing those activities as required.
- Prepare and monitor tenders for contractor activities using Division-approved protocols and making recommendations to the Superintendent/CEO and Board for successful tenders;
- Manage capital expansion where buildings or expansions are being built or grounds are being developed, working with contractors to ensure projects are completed on time and on budget;
- Inspect all facilities and grounds at least annually, for the purpose of preparing recommendations regarding the following:
- Required repairs;
- Safety considerations
- Preventative maintenance;
- Facility improvements;
- Five year maintenance plan.
- Ensure security needs of all facilities are met and function properly;
- Prioritize maintenance and repair of facilities and grounds as recommended by the Assistant Supervisor, Operations and make those recommendations to the Superintendent/CEO;
- Review cost estimates for renovations and maintenance projects as submitted by Assistant Supervisor, Operations and reviewing decisions for priorities and projects on basis of cost and budget, working cooperatively and collaboratively with contractors and service providers;
- Exercise due diligence in providing analytical and decision-making related to cost saving measures, analyzing and problem solving all aspects of building maintenance to ensure best value for dollars spent;
- Monitor priorities and projects related to cleaning and repair and maintenance in all buildings and follow up with Assistant Supervisor, Operations to ensure all work is completed on time and within budget.
3. Transportation Responsibilities:
Supervise transportation operations throughout the School Division including record keeping, purchase and maintenance of buses, routing, driver training, and delegating responsibility for activities covered by the Operations Assistant but also performing those activities as required.
- Prepare and monitor contracts (fuel tenders, grease and oil, snow clearing);
- Review annual bus purchases, letting tenders for buses in February, making purchase recommendations to the Superintendent/CEO, receiving delivery of buses in September and moving buses around at that time;
- Monitor monthly operating reports to ensure expenses meet budget forecasts, advising Secretary/Treasurer where discrepancies exist;
- Respond to escalated complaints from School Administrators, Bus Drivers, Mechanics and Parents;
- Respond to problems and assist with bus routes, scheduling and staffing problems;
- Attend accident sites where required and ensure accident reports are completed making decisions about the necessity of calling an Accident Committee meeting in order to finalize resolution of the accident
Educational Qualifications / Experience
- A minimum Grade 12 Standing.
- Qualified as a Certified School Bus Driver Instructor and/or a Class 2 Manitoba Driver’s License with School Bus Driver Certification.
- Experience using Windows and Microsoft Applications.
- Managerial Training.