Immediate Supervisor: Supervisor of Operations
- Must have mechanical aptitude and/or previous workshop experience as a mechanic’s assistant;
- must be physically capable of performing all of the duties related to the position.
Responsibilities of the position
- Assist the Head Mechanic or Mechanic as directed in all duties as outlined below, and perform such other related duties as may be assigned;
- assist in the visual inspection of buses and components at each bus servicing.
Description of duties
- Service Division buses – oil and filter change, check all fluid levels and grease when necessary;
- assist the Head Mechanic in all bus inspections;
- assist in the removal and replacement of the braking system i.e. brake drums, shoes, wheel cylinders;
- assist in the removal and replacement of transmissions, clutches, and drive line components;
- assist in changing exhaust, mufflers, and manifolds;
- change, replace, and repair tires;
- assist in window and windshield replacements;
- assist in front-end and steering checks.
- assist in the replacement of electrical motors, switches, and lights;
- assist in trouble-shooting as required;
- pick up parts and assist in general shop maintenance;
- assist in the recovery and exchange of buses;
- perform other duties as may be periodically assigned.
Terms of employment
- Salary as established by the Board;
- eight hours per day/twelve month year; (or)
- as per the terms of the collective agreement.
- Job performance shall be evaluated by the Head Mechanic and the Supervisor of Operations in the first year of employment, and every three years thereafter.