Position: Information Technology Supervisor
Reports to: Assistant Superintendent
Policy: The Information Technology Supervisor is a member of the senior administration team, comprised of the Superintendent/CEO, Secretary-Treasurer/CFO, Assistant Superintendent, Assistant Secretary-Treasurer, Director of Student Services, Human Resources Manager, Transportation Supervisor and Facilities Supervisor.
The Information Technology Supervisor manages and directs Prairie Rose School Division’s use of computer hardware, software, networks and related technology to achieve effective solutions and maintain communication necessary for the proper management of the Division.
The Information Technology Supervisor, in consultation with Senior Administration, sets the direction for technology use within the Division. Areas of supervision include computer applications and hardware, network and technical support, data systems, data reporting and web services.
The Information Technology Supervisor reports to the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO and works cooperatively and collaboratively with the Division’s Senior Administrative team and school principals. The performance of these duties will be in accordance with Prairie Rose School Division Policies and Administrative Procedures and applicable Collective Agreements.
Management and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Plans, recommends and implements technology projects (Fiber Optics, WAN planning, network planning, software/hardware/cloud services deployment, connectivity, photocopiers/printers, hardware/software repairs and upgrades);
- Installs and maintains hardware and software, including server and desktop computers, tablets, databases, Operating systems, cloud services, network cabling and equipment, and other communications equipment in offices and schools;
- Manages all technology inventory;
- Responds to disaster recovery, including documentation of procedures related to disaster recovery;
- Monitors the performance, security, backup and recovery of the network and data;
- Monitors systems, respond to emergencies, and pre-empt problems;
- Documents trends and trouble spots in order to conduct proactive maintenance or repairs;
- Provides technical advice, training and assistance to staff as needed;
- Serves as representative on various technology related bodies (MAETL, etc.) and;
- Performs special projects and other related duties as assigned.
Human Resources Responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains a working environment with assigned staff that is respectful of workforce diversity;
- Provides daily supervision and direction to all technicians;
- Evaluates assigned staff as per administrative procedure;
- Establishes criteria for the assignment of workloads and on the basis of these criteria, plans, organizes, and schedules the workloads of all staff under supervision;
- Provides leadership during the development and revision of job descriptions for all technicians;
- Works with the Human Resources Manager in the recruitment process of regular, casual staff and;
- Resolves disputes informally and/or formally as required or as per directed by the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO in consultation with Human Resources.
- Provides recommendations to the Superintendent/CEO and Secretary-Treasurer/CFO during the development of the technology budget;
- Works with the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO in the responsible management of the annual technologies operation budget;
- Recommends purchases or supervises the necessary items to efficiently maintain technology equipment and ensures that purchasing is carried out in accordance with the purchasing and tendering policies of the division and:
- Manages, documents, and completes required reporting documentation as requested by the Secretary-Treasurer.
Education, Experience and Skill Sets:
- Computer Science Degree and or Computer Technology/Network Administration Diploma;
- Several years of experience in system analysis, data administration, network design and/or computer programming;
- Proficiency with business and educational software;
- Experience in a management/supervisory role in a IT services setting; staff supervision and evaluation and budget management and project management;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; written and verbal;
- Strong organizational and customer service skills and;
- Flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.