Carman Bus Garage
The Head Mechanic position reports to the Transportation Supervisor. This position oversees the complete service and maintenance of the PRSD school buses and vehicles, to ensure safe and efficient transportation. The Head Mechanic will be responsible to supervise, coordinate and schedule the activities of the mechanic and mechanic apprentice as it relates to the maintenance of assigned PRSD vehicles.
- 8 hours/day
- Salary: $30.33/hour as per Collective Agreement.
- Effective: ASAP
Knowledge, Abilities, Skills and Qualifications:
- Truck and Transport Mechanic Red Seal Certificate and a current Manitoba Driver’s License Class 5 in good standing are required;
- Automotive Service Technician or Heavy Duty Equipment Technician Red Seal Certificate would be considered;
- Must have at least 2-3 years’ experience in repair and school bus maintenance or a combination of truck and transport related repair and maintenance which includes supervisory experience; and may include structural, mechanical, electrical and electronic vehicle systems, and components such as engines, cab, chassis and frames, brakes, steering, suspension, drive train, fuel systems and hydraulic systems, and perform preventative maintenance and diagnosis of vehicles;
- Must have supervisory experience that demonstrates the ability to direct, coordinate and schedule activities;
- Safety Inspection Certificate for Transport Truck and Bus is required or be able to obtain;
- Experience using computer diagnostic software for motor vehicles would be an asset;
- Must have good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, as well as understand and follow verbal and written instructions;
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, and have good problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Must be familiar with and adhere to safe workplace practices and requirements as per Workplace Safety and Health and other provincial regulations as they apply to a vehicle maintenance facility;
- Must be free of any physical restrictions that would prevent performing the manual labour components of the position; have the ability to recover buses or assist in recovery of school buses in all types of weather conditions;
- Must be able to work in an environment involving exposure to dust, noise, and extreme temperature/weather conditions and work outside of regular hours when necessary;
- Must own or be prepared to purchase complete set of mechanical hand tools.
- Willingness to complete upgrading necessary to maintain appropriate knowledge & skills, training may include school bus safety certification after completion of 6 months’ probation.
- Experience using MS office software application would be an asset
- Uniforms/coveralls and a bi-annual safety footwear allowance are provided as per Collective Agreement.
For more detailed information, please contact Rhonda Smith, Secretary-Treasurer at 204-745-2003
Application must be received by 4:00 p.m. on the closing date and include up-to-date resume detailing qualifications, experience and/or other relevant information and three references who can provide information on your ability.
Human Resources, Box 1510, 45 Main St. S., Carman, MB R0G 0J0; fax: 204-745-3699; or e-mail to: email@example.com
Open until filled
Clear criminal record and abuse checks are required of all employees of the school division. Prairie Rose School Division reserves the right to verify the authenticity of all submitted references. We thank all for applying, but only applications leading to interviews will be acknowledged. Accessibility resources will be provided upon request. This document is available in alternate formats by request. All PRSD staff must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 or undergo mandatory COVID-19 testing as per provincial Public Health Orders.