Approved: November 8, 2021
Position: Transportation Supervisor
Reports to: Secretary-Treasurer
The Transportation Supervisor is a member of the senior administrative team, comprised of the Superintendent/CEO, Secretary-Treasurer, Assistant Superintendent, Director of Student Services, Human Resources Manager, Facilities and Safety Supervisor and Information Technology Supervisor.
The Transportation Supervisor is responsible for providing leadership and direction to the planning, organization, and operation of a safe and efficient divisional transportation service as it pertains to transported students, school bus drivers, mechanics, and the bus fleet.
Management and Administrative Responsibilities:
- Plans and designs, using computer aided technology, bus routes in such a manner as to ensure efficiency and recognize the need for student safety and comfort.
- Responsible for identifying, contributing to the production of, implementing, and enforcing transportation service policies and regulations within the Division.
- Ensures that buses, equipment, property, and facilities are kept in a safe condition by meeting the necessary codes and safety requirements.
- Implements and maintains a preventative maintenance program for school bus maintenance and operation.
- Supervises and approves the school bus availability and use for field trips and extra- curricular activities.
- Investigates, prepares reports, and makes recommendations on improvements to the transportation program.
- Provides direct responses to questions and/or concerns from school principals, parents/guardians, and community members.
- Monitors inclement weather conditions and forecasts throughout the Division to ensure timely recommendations to the Superintendent/CEO and Secretary-Treasurer regarding bus cancellations.
- Oversees emergency situations and emergency repairs as they relate to transportation. This includes being “on-call” outside of regular hours of employment.
- Investigates accidents involving divisional buses, prepares reports on findings and, where possible, initiate procedures to prevent recurrence.
- Ensures that accidents are promptly and properly reported to the proper authorities and insurance agents.
- Supports the principals, where applicable, with the resolution of serious student behaviour incidents on the school bus.
- Keeps the Secretary-Treasurer informed on all aspects of divisional transportation through regular briefing meetings and/or monitoring reports.
- As requested by Superintendent/CEO, provides transportation reports to the senior administration report to the Board of Trustees at regular board meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Secretary-Treasurer.
Human Resources Responsibilities:
- Establishes and maintains a working environment with assigned staff that is respectful of workforce diversity.
- Provides daily supervision and direction to all transportation services personnel; mechanics and bus drivers.
- Evaluates, as per Board policy, transportation services personnel; mechanics and bus drivers.
- Recommends the employment, transfer, termination, promotion or demotion of staff.
- Plans and carries out in-service training of staff under supervision and, with specific reference to bus drivers, develop and implement approved bus operating rules and procedures, safety regulations, and driving standards.
- Plans, coordinates, and directs all daily activities for support staff; including trouble shooting and ensuring quality of workmanship.
- Establishes criteria for the assignment of workloads and on the basis of these criteria, plans, organizes, and schedules the workloads of all staff under supervision.
- Provides leadership during the development and revision of job descriptions for all transportation services personnel.
- Works with the Secretary-Treasurer and Human Resources Manager in the recruitment process of regular, casual, and substitute transportation personnel.
- Oversees the implementation and administration of the collective agreements that are connected to transportation services in consultation with the Secretary-Treasurer and Human Resources Manager.
- Resolves disputes informally and/or formally as required or as per directed by the Superintendent/CEO and Secretary-Treasurer.
- Works with the Secretary-Treasurer in the responsible management of the annual transportation operating budget and the bus replacement fund.
- Purchases or supervises the necessary items to efficiently maintain property and equipment and ensures that said purchasing is carried out in accordance with the purchasing and tendering policies of the division.
- Maintains accurate records of fuel, maintenance and operating expenses for the transportation fleet and exercise effective control over expenditures related to approved transportation budget.
- Ensures that all Manitoba Education and Prairie Rose School Division forms are prepared and submitted in accordance to expectations and timelines.
- Manages, documents, and completes required reporting documentation as requested by the Secretary Treasurer.
- Provides recommendations to the Secretary-Treasurer during the development of the transportation budget.
Education, Experience, and Skill Sets:
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in a management/supervisory role in a transportation services setting; staff supervision and evaluation within a unionized environment and budget management.
- Possess a valid Transport/Heavy Duty /Diesel Mechanic Certificate/Red Seal is highly desirable.
- Strong administrative skills that demonstrates the ability to work in a high pressure, dynamic work environment.
- Strong analytical, problem solving skills, interpersonal and communication skills; written and verbal.
- Strong skill sets in the usage of computers and computer aided technology/software, including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, etc.
- Familiar with applicable legislation, policies and procedures as they apply to pupil transportation
- Possess or the ability to obtain a valid Manitoba Class 2 drivers’ license and a valid School Bus Operator’s Certificate
- Possess or the ability to obtain a School Bus Trainer’s Certificate as endorsed by the Province
- Provide a satisfactory driver’s abstract
- Possession of a valid Transport/Heavy Duty/Diesel Mechanic Certificate/Red Seal would be an asset.
- Knowledge in the mechanical aspect and safety requirements of school buses is highly desirable.