Approved: May 21, 2019
Reports to: Superintendent/CEO
The Secretary-Treasurer/CFO is responsible for planning and controlling all financial activities including budgeting, accounting, reporting, payroll, and purchasing. The Secretary-Treasurer/CFO is responsible for all functions as stipulated in the Public Schools Act and the Education Administration Act, provincial statutes and regulations, PRSD By-Laws, Policies and Administrative Procedures.
As per PRSD Organizational Chart, Board Foundations and Governance, the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO oversees and is responsible for the Facilities, and Transportation departments through direct supervision of the Facilities Supervisor and Transportation Supervisor.
The Secretary-Treasurer/CFO administers Prairie Rose’s financial and business affairs in a way as to provide the best possible educational services with the financial resources available, with maximum of efficiency, a minimum of waste, and an ever present and overriding awareness of and concern for the impact of the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO’s efforts on both our students’ education and our ratepayers.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Board of Trustees:
- Provides direct support to the Board through the Superintendent/CEO;
- With the approval of the Superintendent/CEO, prepares and submits to the Board recommendations concerning matters requiring Board action;
- Attends all regular and special meetings of the Board and, if applicable, committee meetings and records the minutes arising from those meetings, personally or through delegation;
- Receives all Board correspondence and takes appropriate action on same, and writes all correspondence as it pertains to the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO’s area of responsibility;
- Finalizes and approves agendas for regular and special meetings of the Board, in cooperation with the Board Chair, Superintendent/CEO. The Secretary-Treasurer/CFO has the authority to delegate some/all of those duties to one of the reporting positions as needed;
- Maintains orderly files of all minutes, documents, contracts, insurance policies, agreements, leases, deeds, and all other official records of the Division;
- Prepares and , where required, signs all financial and legal documents;
- Implements all requirements and procedures for the nomination and election of School Board Trustees as per the Public Schools Act, including the appointment of a Senior Election Official, on behalf of the Board;
- Serves as Access and Privacy Coordinator under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and the Personal Health Information Act and;
- Serves as Records Manager/Security Officer under the provincial Guidelines on the Retention and Disposition of School Division/District Records.
- Develops and manages computerized financial and business systems necessary for the effective administration of the financial resources of the Division;
- Provides leadership and direction in the preparation of the annual budget for adoption by the Board, and along with the Superintendent/CEO, assumes the primary responsibility for the administration of the budget as adopted by the Board;
- Directs and coordinates staff in the preparation of the financial records, statements, and reports for the Division;
- Manages the accounting and purchasing activities of the Division, including reconciliation of monthly bank statements, analysis of general ledger accounts and enforcing the overall operation of purchasing procedures and policies;
- Directs all payroll and payments to full-time, part-time and casual employees in accordance with Collective Agreements, Provincial Legislation, and administration of benefit plans;
- Administers the insurance program to ensure that adequate coverage is maintained on the assets and property of the Division;
- Liaises with the Public Schools Finance Board regarding: debentures, grants, budgets, and other related financial and legal matters;
- Communicates with the auditors retained by the Division;
- Manages the preparation of cost analysis studies, the installation and operation of inventory systems, and the administration of special and/or trust funds and;
- Performs audit of school accounts on a rotational basis as appropriate.
- Reviews and/or establishes, as per Superintendent/CEO direction, administrative procedures for efficient and effective operations in the Finance, Payroll, Transportation, Facilities and Information Technology departments of the school division;
- Supervises the Transportation Supervisor to ensure that student transportation services respect the requirements of the Board and provincial regulatory bodies, maintains the required standards of safety, hygiene, and efficiency at all times, and responds, or delegates responses, to major requests or concerns related to those services;
- Supervises the Facilities Supervisor to ensure that facility management respects the requirements of the Board and provincial regulatory bodies, maintains the required standards of safety, hygiene, and efficiency at all times, and responds, or delegates responses, to major requests or concerns related to those services and;
- Works with the Superintendent/CEO and Human Resources Manager, on the Division’s human resources policies, administrative procedures, contracts, and agreements;
- Communicates PRSD expectations to PRSD staff, supports a productive working climate and positive staff morale; and assists the resolution of concerns as needed;
- Recommends to the Superintendent/CEO such changes as are necessary in the structure and function of the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO’s, Transportation, Facilities, and Information Technology departments that would improve the division’s operation;
- Completes as per requested and/or scheduled, performance evaluations of the Assistant Secretary-Treasurer, Transportation Supervisor, Facilities Supervisor, oversees the evaluation process of the Division Office administrative support which includes payroll, finance, and administrative assistants;
- Prepares and amends, as necessary, and for the approval of the Superintendent/CEO, job descriptions of personnel who report directly to and/or through delegation by the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO;
- Authorizes the participation of supervised employees in professional development activities and;
- Recommends to the Superintendent/CEO the promotion, tenure, and, when necessary, discipline as per human resources administrative procedures, employees who are responsible to the Secretary-Treasurer/CFO.
- Public Relations and Communications:
- Consults and collaborates on issues in a respectful and inviting manner with PRSD stakeholders; both internal and external;
- Communicates and applies PRSD policies and administrative procedures to PRSD staff and community, given emphasis to business administration, finance, transportation, facilities, and technology;
- Maintains effective communication and participation with parents/guardians in an atmosphere of mutual trust and respect;
- Supports effective communication with divisional communities, including Hutterian colonies;
- Maintains effective and positive communication with employee groups;
- Liaises respectfully with social, professional, civic, volunteer and other community agencies and groups having an interest in the work of PRSD and;
- Consults and cooperates with officials from Manitoba Education and Training, MSBA, MASBO, Manitoba Teachers’ Society, Prairie Rose Teachers’ Association, and CUPE 4701.
- Other Duties:
- Serves as a member of – PRSD Workplace, Safety and Health Divisional Committee as identified in AP# 103;
- Assumes all transportation and facilities responsibilities through direct supervision and/or delegation of duties of the Transportation and Facilities Supervisors during approved short and long term absences;
- Participates in personal professional development through attendance at workshops and conferences;
- Maintains confidentiality and integrity showing respect to staff, parents, and members of the public and;
- Assumes other responsibilities as may be assigned by Superintendent/CEO.
Educational Qualifications / Experience
- A recognized accounting degree and/or designation or related business training and work experience;
- Several years of experience in accounting, financial management including budget preparation and control, and supervisory experience;
- Senior management experience working within a team;
- Experience and effective supervisory skills with diverse employee groups;
- Knowledge of the Public Schools Act, Education Administration Act, Municipal Act, provincial legislation as it relates to Workplace Safety and Health and the FRAME accounting system would be an asset;
- Experience working with a Board and demonstrated understanding of Board governance and administrative procedures;
- Well-developed information technology skills;
- Exceptional interpersonal, communication and organization skills and;
- Demonstrated commitment to the advancement of public education for all students