Approved: May 21, 2019
Position: Payroll Administrator
Reports to: Assistant Secretary-Treasurer
The Payroll Administrator is responsible for full cycle payroll functions related to the collecting, verifying and processing of semi-monthly payrolls for the PRSD Professional, Division Office and Substitute Teachers using a computer integrated payroll/finance system. The Payroll Administrator is responsible for benefit administration for all PRSD employees. The Payroll Administrator is responsible for processing payroll in an accurate and timely manner, in accordance with the applicable legislation, Collective Agreements, benefit plan provisions, and PRSD Policies and Administrative Procedures. Prairie Rose School Division Policies, Procedures, and applicable Collective Agreements.
The Payroll Administrator shall be responsible to the Assistant Secretary-Treasurer for such duties as assigned and shall be prepared to perform other duties as assigned by the Assistant Secretary-Treasurer.
The Payroll Administrator must establish and maintain a close working relationship with the Assistant Secretary-Treasurer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Processes semi-monthly payroll for all PRSD professional staff including substitute teachers and Division Office staff. This includes the set-up, maintenance, and distribution of salary information within a computerized payroll system;
- Enrols and maintains employees in applicable benefit plans;
- Verifies all payroll transactions relating to Hourly, Casual, Substitute Teacher, and Trustee Indemnity prepared by the Payroll Assistant;
- Prepares and balances remittances for source deductions and benefit premiums;
- Composes information letters to employees concerning benefits and other pay related matters;
- Liaises with all third party benefit providers, which includes but not limited to Manitoba Blue Cross, Mercer Consultants, Eckler, Teacher Retirement Allowance Fund (TRAF), MTS Disability Benefit Plan and Group RRSP program;
- Records and maintains sick leave for Teachers and Division Office Staff;
- Responds to queries about pay and benefits issues by telephone, correspondence or in person from employees and outside agencies such as Manitoba School Board Association, Blue Cross, etc.;
- Prepares and issues Records of Employment via ROE Web, and respond to queries from Service Canada;
- Calculates all final pay entitlements for leave of absences, resignations, and retirements, and SEB Top-up for teachers on maternity/parental leave;
- Prepares month and year-end reports for pensionable service, sick leave balances, vacation carry-over, and EI rebate for PRTA employees;
- Generates, balances and distributes T4’s for all employees;
- Prepares, calculates and distributes seniority service every September and January for Prairie Rose Teachers Association;
- Maintains payroll records according to PRSD Administrative Procedures;
- Performs pay related to hourly paid employees in the absences of the Payroll Assistant.
Knowledge, Abilities and Skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge and advanced skills in computer technology and software including: integrated Finance/Payroll system, MS Office, and online applications for benefits, pension and employment insurance;
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with the ability to set priorities and meet strict deadlines
- Excellent problem-solving/judgement skills and a high level of attention to detail and accuracy;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, and customer service skills;
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to maintain confidentiality and exercise discretion;
- Solid understanding of all applicable federal and provincial legislation and a thorough understanding of Collective Agreements and PRSD Administrative Procedures as it relates to payroll practices.
Educational Qualifications / Experience:
- Post-secondary education in business administration or CPA Level 2 and at least 3 years’ experience of progressive related payroll experience ensuring confidentiality and professionalism, or an equivalent combination of education and experience working within an unionized environment;
- Proficiency with MS Office, particularly Excel and Word, and with specific experience with computerized Finance/Payroll system;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including demonstrated ability to interact positively and work effectively with others;
- Strong organization and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet strict deadlines and multi-task within a fast paced environment;
- Have the ability to problem-solve and use judgement with a high level of attention to details, accuracy and record keeping.