Approved: October 26, 2020
Position: Maintenance Technician/Journeyperson Plumber
Reports to: Facilities and Safety Supervisor
Policy: Under the supervision and direction of the Facilities and Safety Supervisor, the Maintenance Technician/Journeyperson Plumber performs tasks that contribute to the general maintenance of buildings and grounds throughout the division, in accordance with Workplace Safety and Health Act, legislation and codes. The Maintenance Technician/Journeyperson Plumber provides support to the Facilities and Safety Supervisor in the day-to-day operation the division facilities. The Maintenance Technician/Journeyperson Plumber will coordinate the corrective and preventive maintenance program and will work collaboratively in a team environment with the Maintenance Technician/Journeyperson Electrician.
When required, the Maintenance Technician/Journeyperson Plumber is also responsible to work cooperatively with school custodial staff to provide safe and well-maintained facilities and grounds for the students and staff of Prairie Rose School Division.
Divisional Buildings (Schools/Bus Garages and Division Office)
- Perform repairs and alterations on all divisional property including interior, exterior, plumbing and mechanical systems of building.
- Perform repairs and maintenance on school division furniture and equipment.
- Perform periodic inspections of the HVAC and roofing systems on all divisional buildings.
- Monitors building controls and be on the call list to respond to emergencies and intrusions alarms.
- Installs furniture, equipment as required; transports equipment and supplies as required
- Ensures that the predictive, preventive and proscriptive maintenance is occurring with all equipment in the division buildings.
- Provide leadership and direction to contractors, custodians in the absences of the Facilities and Safety Supervisor.
- Perform repairs and alterations on all school playground equipment.
- Perform annual inspections of playgrounds.
- Ensures that the predictive, preventive and proscriptive maintenance is occurring with all playground equipment.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Respond quickly and appropriately to emergency situations such as floods, fires, power failures and major accidents.
- Maintain a clean, neat safe work environment with the Maintenance shop and all remote work sites.
- Maintain records of time spent and material used on all projects.
- Plan and organize work projects as provided by the Facilities and Safety Supervisor.
- Assist school custodial staff and the Maintenance Technician/Journeyperson Electrician in troubleshooting and repairs and maintenance as directed by the Facilities and Safety Supervisor.
- Maintains adequate supply of building material and supplies, sources and orders parts as required in accordance with the purchasing policies of the division.
- Performs other related duties assigned by the Facilities and Safety Supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Trade certification Red Seal Journeyperson Plumber Licence and a Class B Gas Ticket is required.
- Playground Inspector Certificate and have a minimum 5th Class Power Engineer is considered an asset.
- A minimum of 5 to 7 years progressively responsible experience in institutional facilities maintenance, and familiar with Building, Plumbing and Electrical Codes, and Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health Act and legislation.
- Familiarity with HVAC and DDC systems.
- Experience in plumbing, carpentry, millwork, locksmith or other related trades.
- Proficient with technology including Microsoft Office and integrated IP Systems.
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license is required.
- Ability to upgrade skills if required and participate in Factory Training when required.