Approved: May 21, 2019
Position: Bus Driver
Reports to: Transportation Supervisor
Subject to the provisions of the Public Schools Act and regulations, the Board of Trustees of Prairie Rose School Division where transportation of pupils is required, shall provide transportation from home to school. The position of school bus driver is responsible for the safe transportation of pupils on an assigned bus route.
This position requires the performance of all duties to ensure safety standards as outlined in the Bus Driver Manual.
Bus Drivers shall be responsible to the Transportation Supervisor for such duties as assigned and shall be prepared to perform other duties as assigned by the Transportation Supervisor.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates the school bus in a safe and defensive manner exercising self-control, alertness, foresight, and good judgement and takes no action that could in any way compromise the safety and well-being of the students on the bus, makes the necessary adjustments for hazards including, but not limited to, weather conditions, other vehicles, road conditions, railroad crossings.
- Observe all traffic laws and safety regulations
- Practices safety precautions when students are boarding and exiting the bus
- Reports any hazards observed along the assigned route
- Reports all accidents, vehicle damage and student injuries as they occur
- Maintains appropriate order, student management with respect to all divisional student management administrative procedures
- Drives route as assigned, assists in establishing effective schedule and adheres to set schedules, assumes responsibility for notifying parents of changes in routes, pick-up and drop-off times
- Completes pre-trip and post-trip inspections
- Operates and maintains the bus in a manner that promotes low maintenance and extended life
- Maintains the interior and exterior of the assigned bus to ensure overall cleanliness and neatness
- Operates any and all communications equipment appropriately
- Completes and submits all required reports and documentation in a timely manner
- Maintains current knowledge of safe driving practices and defensive driving skills
- Perform duties in a manner appropriate to a school setting including strict attention to the confidentially of school operations and students
- Participates in annual 8 hours of in-service training and semi-annual bus evacuations
- Performs related duties as required by the Transportation Supervisor
Education, Training and Experience:
- A valid Class 2 driver’s license or the ability to obtain a Class 2 driver’s license, and Bus Driver’s Certificate is required.
- Hold a valid First Aid Level C Certificate or the ability to obtain a First Aid Level C Certificate
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the relevant statutes, regulations and policies applicable to the operation of school buses and the transportation of students
- Knowledge of and ability to follow and execute safe driving practices
- Ability to provide a safe, welcoming environment that is supportive of students
- Ability to follow appropriate student discipline protocol
- Ability to operate and maintain a school bus safely and efficiently
- Ability to maintain the bus route schedule in a timely and safe manner
- Ability to communicate effectively understand and carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to changes in daily routine
- Ability to adapt and support changes in the workplace due to changes in policies, legislation or school division needs
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision by demonstrating sound judgement, discretion and decision making skills to ensure quality of work meets expected standards
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships in a courteous and friendly manner with staff, students, parents and the public
- Ability to perform the mental and physical requirements of the position including, but not limited to:
- Sitting for relatively lengthy periods, standing, walking, carrying, bending, stooping, climbing and lifting
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in and outside the school division