Approved: May 25, 2021
Position: Apprentice – Mechanic
Reports to: Transportation Supervisor
Policy: This is a developmental position under the direction of the Transportation Supervisor and Head Mechanic. The apprentice mechanic assists in phases of mechanical maintenance of the Division vehicles to provide safe and efficient transportation.
This position will comply with the provisions of The Apprenticeship and Certification Act –Trade of Truck and Transport Mechanic Regulation.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Carry out assigned tasks under the direction and supervision of the Head Mechanic;
- Comply with the provisions of The Apprenticeship and Certification Act – Trade of Truck and Transport Mechanic Regulation;
- Be familiar with all relevant Acts and Regulations concerning Trade of Truck and Transport Mechanic Regulations, Workplace Safety and Health, procedures, and reference manuals for appropriate maintenance of divisional vehicles;
- Assume other responsibilities and perform other related duties as may be assigned by the Transportation Supervisor or Head Mechanic, within the scope of apprentice mechanic levels.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Be eligible to enroll in the Truck and Transport Mechanic Apprenticeship program, which includes four levels, with each level consisting of a period of at least 12 months during which the apprentice must complete 1800 hours of technical training and practical experience;
- Experience in the repair and maintenance of vehicles or familiarity with vehicles maintenance is considered an asset;
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license is required;
- Must have good interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing, as well as understand and follow verbal and written instructions;
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, and have good problem-solving and analytical skills;
- Must be familiar with and adhere to safe workplace practices and requirements as per Workplace Safety and Health and other provincial regulations as they apply to a vehicle maintenance facility;
- Must be free of any physical restrictions that would prevent performing the manual labour components of the position, have the ability to recover buses or assist in recovery of school buses in all types of weather conditions;
- Must be able to work in an environment involving exposure to dust, noise, and extreme temperature/weather conditions and work outside of regular hours when necessary;
- Experience using MS office software application would be an asset;
- Willingness to complete upgrading necessary to maintain appropriate knowledge & skills.